This Is Cheesy

It started with Google: "what do I believe in"

First link. Writer Amanda Goddard wrote a personal, semi-humorous and cheesy piece last year about what she believed in. And I like it.

So I'm doing the same. Yes, an exact copy of the format of her writing, with my own words. And you should write your own. Maybe do it every few years, what you believe, not religiously and nonpolitically—what you believe about life.

Here's mine. This is cheesy.

I believe long lines at the grocery store are nothing to worry about, unless it's the self-checkout lane and someone brought 30 items into that line. I believe in green bananas and black socks and orange Powerade Zero.

I believe that the first 45 seconds of any song is all you really need to hear, and "Africa" by Toto is something you need to really connect to in your lifetime. Also "Livin' On a Prayer."

I believe Mondays really are terrible and the weekends disappear too quickly. I believe airplanes are the greatest gift on Earth and every dog is still a "puppy." Sometimes babies are puppies, too. I believe cat people aren't real people and chocolate can fix almost anything.

I believe running on a cool evening is the only kind of running I'll want to do, unless we're talking about a Netflix marathon. I believe people have different faces and personalities and you're only ever your real self when you're with family.

I believe the Fourth of July is beautiful except the traffic, and I believe old people are people we need to know more. I believe mornings begin at 10 a.m. and nap time is whenever you want. I believe cold pizza is delicious and the San Francisco sea lions are hilarious.

I believe in hope, more than I believe that we didn't land on the moon (we probably did). I believe the microwave is dangerous and spiders should not exist, and that sandwiches always taste better when cut in triangles.

I believe in seasons 2–5 of The Office and wearing gold jewelry. I believe kids should play an instrument or a sport, and I will be that cheering basketball mom or piano tyrant when I need to. I believe Adnan Syed and Steven Avery are incredibly frustrating to figure out.

I believe in writing, in talking, in learning. I believe in learning. I believe in being 10 minutes early to everything and leaving early from every party. I believe catching the bouquets at weddings doesn't mean anything. I believe first dates are awkward and first loves are dramatic. I believe in finding answers on Google. I believe in finding truths with God.

I believe in cold pillows and warm cookies. I believe we can love someone and not be right for them. I believe surprise flowers are the best kind of surprise, because I don't really believe in surprises. I believe in taking photographs, even when you're trying to not take photographs and enjoy the moment.

I believe in asking a lot of questions. I believe in judging a book by its first page. I believe there's more to this life than what we think. I believe in knowing yourself and, even more, loving yourself.

I believe in having things to believe in.

Comments

Popular Posts