S'umm'er

        
 Mary: What'd you wish, George?
George: Well, not just one wish. A whole hatful, Mary. I know what I'm gonna do tomorrow, and the next day, and the next year, and the year after that. I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world. Italy, Greece, the Parthenon, the Colosseum. Then, I'm comin' back here and go to college and see what they know... And then I'm gonna build things. I'm gonna build airfields, I'm gonna build skyscrapers a hundred stories high, I'm gonna build bridges a mile long...

I am George Bailey. At least, at this point in my life, I feel like George Bailey. It all started when Dad sent me a list of articles about college careers and majors. What began as a casual browse of my career choices became a soul-searching expedition of my future. I became Jean ValJean, asking myself daily, "Who am I?" 

Even though I don't know what I want to be or where I am going to end up, I wake up each morning to California sun grateful for another day. It's cheesy, but it's true. I know that there is a plan for me. The blueprints so far include Communications, writing, or becoming an astronaut. Eventually I want to find a best friend, marry him, and start a family. I want to keep my creativity and humor (when I'm not even funny) and figure out other talents I can scrape up. Eagle powers. I don't know. Maybe I can publish my old journals and make a profit from my 12-year-old drama. 

I just want to do something big. Last week I yelled at my mom, "I'M NOT MEANT FOR THIS EARTH" and threw in a door slam as I left the house. I even went to the Ellen Degeneres website to find stardom. I am happy free confused and lonely at the same time... oh wait that's Taylor Swift. As my brother and I start another chapter (everyone uses that cliche), I wonder what kind of book this is at all. Does it end? A lot of people read the final chapter or page before starting a book- I never understood why until now. They know what's coming. And I don't.

But that's okay. Because I'm gonna build bridges a mile long. Maybe longer. 






Comments

Popular Posts