Interior Door Painting: Paintbrush Method


This is part 1 of a 2-part series about painting interior doors. I searched all over before I started to find the best way to paint my interior doors. 


Some people said to just slap some paint on it: no sanding, no taping, nothing! Others said you need to sand, prime, paint, tape off, and take the door off the hinge. 


And even more people were somewhere in the middle. 


So I decided to try a few methods my own way and see what worked best for me. We have tan/white interior doors that are 20 years old, and I've been wanting to paint them black for a while. 


I grabbed a few samples and started with our pantry door:

Beautiful, right? Ha! I'd love to have 5-panel modern doors one day, but for now, this paint trick will do the job! 



These were the 3 colors: Dorian Gray, Iron Ore, and Tricorn Black. Our front door is Tricorn Black, but on these interior doors, this black felt a little *too* dark for us. We went with the middle color, Iron Ore by Sherwin Williams.


I used 2 sample jars for this door (didn't commit to gallons yet because once we decide on a color, that's going to go on the rest of the 8 doors in our home!)


I also researched how to paint a paneled door and found SO many resources. There are differing methods, but this one was pretty common so I went with it:


                    


First, I took the handle off the door! I kept the door on the hinge for this method. 


I used my angled paintbrush to paint the 6 panels on the interior door. It wasn't perfect, but it worked! Then, I painted vertically. After that, I did the horizontal pieces. Finally, I painted the outside vertical edges and the edges of the door. 


In this picture the paint is still drying. I did about 3 coats overall and had a few touch-ups to fix after. I taped off the hinges but still got a little paint on them. 


TAKEAWAYS

If you're going to use a paintbrush to paint your interior door black (or any color), here are my thoughts about it!

1. It's definitely easier to keep the door on the hinge. I read other posts that said if you take the door off, it may not fit back on exactly right. It would've been a hassle to take it out to the garage (that's what I'll be doing in method 2!)

2. With this method, minimal brush strokes were seen. I can spot a few every now and then, but I was surprised at how smooth it looks! Not too streaky or uneven. 

3. It takes FOREVER. I told Jonathan, "If I have to hand paint every door in this house, it will be done by the time we have 4 kids." (I have one baby right now) This method was time consuming, I did it in the span of 2 days, since I had to watch my baby and let paint dry as well. 

4. This is not as scary as it seems! For some reason I was intimidated to paint. I didn't sand or prime this one, and I'm happy with how it turned out! I don't know how it will hold up (I couldn't find anything about a final top coat so I didn't do one) but I will check back in after a month or so! 


If you want to paint your door, grab a paintbrush and just do it! It could turn out exactly like you want. 

This interior door paint DIY was pretty fun, and it looks WAY better in my opinion. 




Comments

Popular Posts