Something New

For my last summer at home, I want to stay productive and helpful. I want to create meaning in what I do each day instead of laying around the house. This site is mostly for me anyways, so I want to make a habit of posting things that matter more. I just want something new. 


The man in the picture, Thomas S. Monson, holds the highest keys on the Earth today as President and Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In an October conference talk in 2008 he starts his morning talk by saying this: 

"I begin by mentioning one of the most inevitable aspects of our lives here upon the earth, and that is change. At one time or another we’ve all heard some form of the familiar adage: “Nothing is as constant as change.”


The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."


I underlined my favorite part of his words above, because I think about it all the time. The gospel of Jesus Christ and His restored church on the Earth is always constant and always steadfast, but another necessary part of life is change. Good change, bad change, sad change, surprising change. In order to grow and live and love and progress and serve, we must change. 


I guess that's my game plan this summer: make some changes. Of course, there will be the temporal changes- braces will come off, hair will grow longer, rooms will be emptied out as college approaches...but I seek for spiritual change as well. I seek to not only grow closer to the man in the picture above and the words of the other prophets, but I also seek to grow closer to my Heavenly Father, my Savior, and my family. This will be the best summer ever.

Comments

Popular Posts