Half Week; Choices

I only went to one class this week because Tuesday classes were Monday classes because Monday was no school; BYU, I know. Our class focused on 3 Nephi 6-10 and there were a few things that stood out to me. Brother Griffin put it nicely when he said that "most of your decisions are between good, better, or best. It's not like, 'Hmm, should I read my scriptures or rob a bank?'" And he's right; but it is often these smaller decisions between what's good and what's better--and ultimately, what is best--that keeps young adults like me awake at night. There can always be something better, so how do we know when to work with what we've got? Should I get down on myself for not acting like an apostle all day? Is television or a sporting event bad? Yes, I could be reading my scriptures during that time, but wholesome recreation has to go somewhere, too.


What I learned from class is that while there are still many fighting the battle between good and evil, the 'good' is slowly becoming the 'not-so-good' and we are encouraged more and more to push towards the 'better' and 'best'. Like Brother Griffin's son Jerrett who had trouble with potty training, we are going to make mistakes and we are going to try to fix them on our own. It's a lot less embarrassing and it's a good idea. However, we are nothing without the only saving name of Jesus Christ and His sacrifice--we are insulting Him and our Heavenly Father if we continue to try to do it all alone. That's not what we were built for. I am grateful for the knowledge that things do get better and that I can try again each day for the best.

Comments

Popular Posts