Opening the Door

Yesterday I got a million reminders and realizations. I was reminded that the most important things can be easily taken for granted. I wake up every morning so grateful that I can get out of bed and walk and hear music and breathe in fresh air. I woke up today knowing that I would be safe all day and go to sleep in a warm bed. I am so grateful for that.

It seems like during Thanksgiving everyone becomes the most humble grateful person in the world. They call family and feel the holiday joy, but then what? I watched a Mormon Message video called "Thanksgiving Daily" and I have adopted that motto into my life: gratitude is not a seasonal feeling or appreciation. Alma 26:16 became my new favorite scripture because it says,

"Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel."


If we just notice a little more, we will remember a lot. And remembering is what it's all about. There are glimpses of Heaven here on Earth. There are people we love more than any material object: do we tell them? Or better yet, do we show them? It's Thanksgiving every day (and Christmas too, but that's another argument altogether). What are you thankful for?

Comments

Popular Posts