The Biggest Mistake You'll Ever Make

Today I read this article called 'The Biggest Parenting Mistake.' I clicked on the title because it sounded interesting, new, secretive. That's what all these online articles are doing lately; they are using creative headlines, catchy phrases and buzzwords to get people to click on it. "Why I'm Getting a Divorce", "What They'll Never Tell You" (what is 'what', who is 'they', and what do they 'never tell' me?), and more. Hypocritically, my blog post is intended to draw people in, but I actually have a related message as well. 
The Biggest Parenting Mistake was not enjoying the little moments. The author talked about how parents want to get kids to bed just so kids will get to bed. That shouldn't be the goal. Shouldn't the goal be cuddling with our kids, teaching them to pray, hearing more about his or her day, and seeing the precious moments of sleepy giggles and bedtime warmth? (This is making me feel cozy and tired)

The article was well done and I want to take that knowledge with me into my home and family. But then I started wondering what the Biggest Mistake Ever would be. Not just parents. Not just for students. Not just in 10 years from now. 

What is the Biggest Mistake ANYONE could EVER make in this life? We'll all disagree. But I believe this is the Biggest Mistake: never being nervous. Living life inside your comfort zone. Never trying anything new. Never taking risks. Living in fear of being embarrassed. 


Avoiding mistakes is the biggest mistake you could make. 

It's cliche. Maybe. "Life begins outside of your comfort zone" is EVERYWHERE on Pinterest. I used to disagree with that. The comfort zone is pretty nice. Solid, stable routine isn't bad. But it was only after remembering all the times I have ever been nervous- the good kind of nervous- that I truly understood why we make the Biggest Mistake almost every day of our lives. We are too easily scared. 


It's the type of nervous-excited-anxious-more nervous where you run through the scene hundreds of times in your head before getting to the actual place. It could be a first date. An important interview. Meeting the in-laws. Asking her to marry you. A school presentation. Going to the doctor. A dance competition. Performing in front of people. Falling in love. Your largest fear carries your greatest growth. 

This weekend I climbed a mountain I never thought I could climb- literally, not metaphorically but the metaphor works too. I had a big interview. I watched my brother take another important test. My friend tried to kiss a girl. Another friend gave a solo musical performance. I saw nervous. I saw fear. I saw success. I saw failure. I saw life. 





 I think we all should feel that good type of nervous more often in our lives. It's how we grow. Sometimes things are scary. Sometime's they're fun. Sometimes, you won't ever know who you are or how you feel until you try something new. The Biggest Mistake we could ever make is not making mistakes and not learning who we are through new experiences, changes, and moments. The Biggest Mistake we could ever make is not being nervous. 





Comments

Popular Posts