Seen: The Anti-Social Networks

One of my favorite quotes says that "you're the same today you as you'll be in five years except for the people you meet and the books you read people you meet."  I love that--the interactions we have with people can change us, and the things we read can shape our perspectives, thoughts, and even desires. 

But what if you don't read any books? 

I've heard that if someone has a British accent, people are more prone to listen...maybe that's why this video rocks. 

This may be an ironic post because I'm using the Internet and bloggy technology to write about how so many people are addicted to technology. So I'll confess it: I am addicted, too. 

A world of self-interest, self-image, self-promotion.You don't need to stare at your menu or your contact list...just talk to one another, learn to coexist. 

When the wifi isn't connected, we become 19th century pioneers, desperate for life. That's why my favorite line describes us as "a world where we're slaves to the technology we've mastered." When was the last time you read a book--a real, papery, physical book? 

My Top 10 


1. The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister 

2. For One More Day by Mitch Albom (anything Albom)

3. Room by Emma Donoghue

4. 1984 by George Orwell (and Animal Farm) 

5. Into the Wild by by John Krakauer

6. Alone Together by Sherry Turkle (required for a class, turns out I liked it)

7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis (also Screwtape)

9. Give a Boy a Gun by Todd Strasser

10. The Giver by Lois Lowry 



Dr. Seuss was a genius because he said "the more things you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." And I used to think that was silly because you can buy a plane ticket and go anywhere. But Seuss isn't talking about places places. He's talking about other places. The more you learn, the more you will accomplish in life. The more you will understand the way things work around you and the more you will change and flourish and be so sophisticated at parties when people talk about what books they've read. 

Yes, I love social media, but that doesn't mean I have to ever stop reading. Kid's books are legit too--whoever invented popup books deserves trillions. 



Comments

Popular Posts