Learning to Love

I have been thinking a lot lately about the person I am becoming and the places I need to be. Balancing school, the possibility of a mission, friends, family, work, and church seems overwhelming. But that sentence is wrong. I shouldn't have to balance 'church'. That's what I always thought- it was just another thing to perfect in my life. But after remembering a few important things, I know that I have to put church first on my list and include it in every other aspect of life. Church is not just a building I go to or meetings I attend. Church is more and it is really the gospel of Christ that is my life. I am not my body- I am not this person. I am a Spirit of my Heavenly Father who was loved enough to come down here and make mistakes.

My favorite hymn is #220: Lord, I Would Follow Thee. The line that struck me most this week was "Savior, may I learn to love Thee?" Like woah. Shouldn't I just automatically love Him and Heavenly Father and leave it at that? But learning to love is so much more. It's learning about the man He was and is and the grace He gives me. It's learning that I can keep going back to Him and he won't stay mad at me. It's learning to love perfection instead of fearing it. I want to spend the rest of my life learning to love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and finding new things every day to enjoy. Brother Griffin said, "One of the ways to say 'thank you' to Jesus is to help build His kingdom. I think the time has come for a generation to stand up and say 'No, we will not just go through the motions.'"

I was born into this gospel, into this church. I know it. I love it. But I need to live it. There are not days where I can go halfway or put off the church checklist just because I have it always with me. I cannot forget my purpose just because I am sitting safely in the covenant of baptism. Just because I remember him daily doesn't mean I am going to be saved. It is time to do more, to say more, to be more, and to love more.

Comments

Popular Posts